Sunday, July 29, 2012

Playing with ink distress technique

I have been wanting to play around with the ink distress technique that you see Tim Holtz and others doing. I wanted to see if I could get this effect using Close To My Heart products. So here is my rendition.
I dropped a drop of Crystal Blue reinker on a sheet of wax paper and then a drop of Sky reinker next to the first drop. Next I spritzed over the drops with some water. I took a paintbrush and mixed the colors some, but left some areas with the original colors. I had previously used this same piece of wax paper to apply some gold Pearl Ex mica powder (not a CTMH product)  to some other project and I had put these drops of reinker right over the remaining Pearl Ex. So when I spritzed on the water it reactivated the Pearl Ex too. I then took a piece of Colonial White cardstock and drug it through the mixed reinkers until I had the piece covered in ink. I then let my piece air dry, only because I had to go attend some other chore that was calling me (bum). It could be dried with our craft heater if you were wanting to use the piece immediately.
I was really pleased with the color mix and the gold mica powder added a super touch, I thought. I then cut the circle shape and stamped the bird image.
The patterned papers I used are an older retired CTMH paper pack-Life Delights, but I thought the colors worked well together.
My card sketch came from Mojo Monday challenge #251.
Here is a close-up of just the circle part to show the ink distress technique a little better.
I even decorated the inside. I used the June stamp of the month - Life Is Tweet-and it worked beautifully to use part of the sentiment on the outside and the rest inside.
I will definitely be messing with this ink distress technique in the near future, mixing different colors and not just using monochromatic colors.
Hope you enjoy.                               Blessings,    Polly


1 comment:

  1. Love the card, Polly, it turned out beautifully! Thanks, too, for giving such good instructions, I can't wait to try this technique.

    Annette

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome....